About the Highlander Empowerment Student Services Referendum (HESSR)
The Highlander Empowerment Student Services Referendum (HESSR) provides additional staff, services and resources through the Ethnic & Gender Programs.
In Spring 2015, students voted for a Student Services Fee of $14.00 per quarter to benefit the seven Ethnic & Gender Programs. Of that, $10.50/quarter would be divided among the seven departments. The remainder is returned to students in the form of financial aid.
HESRR went into effect Fall 2015, and is subject to reaffirmation by the student body every five years.
Allocation and Governance
The Ethnic & Gender Program departments develop annual budget plans to ensure that the HESSR funds are used in the way that students intended when they voted. These are sent to the Chancellor’s Office for final approval.
HESSR funds provide:
- Staffing to help students find on- and off-campus support and resources
- Peer mentoring and peer education programs
- Support to host or travel to conferences
- Assistance for Common Ground Collective projects that get students involved with community-building activities
- Co-programming with student organizations and student-led initiatives
- Support for the ASUCR Diversity Council initiatives that protect student interest and diversity
- Additional computers and educational materials for each Ethnic & Gender Program department
- Operational help for Ethnic & Gender Program departments
For more information, visit Resources.